Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 9, 2011

MY CREATIONS

I made a moonstone necklace yesterday and thought it would be a good opportunity to talk a little about moonstone

The moonstone is characterized by an enchanting play of light. Indeed it owes its name to that mysterious shimmer which always looks different when the stone is moved and is known in the trade as 'adularescence'. In earlier times, people believed they could recognize in it the crescent and waning phases of the moon.
In their uncut state moonstones are rather unprepossessing and afford little idea of what it is that actually constitutes their charm: that mysterious shimmer of light. For that shimmer is not really shown to advantage until the art of the cutter has been brought to bear. Classical moonstones are always cut as cabochons, the most important thing being the correct height of the stone. The cutter must also align the axes of the crystal precisely into the zenith of the stone, for that is the only way in which he will bring about the desired light effect.
This gemstone is surrounded by a good deal of mystique and magic. In many cultures, for example in India, it is regarded as a holy, magical gemstone. In India, moonstones are also regarded as 'dream stones' which bring the wearer beautiful visions at night. In Arabic countries, women often wear moonstones sewn out of sight into their garments, for in their cultures the moonstone is a symbol of fertility.
The moonstone symbolizes our being in its entirety. With its soft shimmer, it strengthens our emotional and subconscious aspects. The associations connected with that make it a "lovers' stone", evoking tender feelings and safeguarding the true joys of love. It is also said that wearing a moonstone strengthens our intuition and our capacity to understand.
Thank you to the ICA website for use of information about moonstone.


Stone of "Love"  I like that...
But my favorite era of jewelery is Art Nouveau so if I make myself something, it is usually in that style or at least a style that blends with Nouveau.
I even find with commissions or if I make an item for my shop it ends up looking Art Deco or Art Nouveau....just part of my style I suppose.

Art Nouveau facts state, the word, 'Art Nouveau' was named after an avant-garde Paris shop, 'La Maison de l'Art Nouveau' in 1900, and was known by that name in France, Belgium, Holland, England, and the United States.
Just a quick note about Moonstone jewelry and Art Nouveau jewelry....
Moonstone along with chalcedony, horn and glass were popular materials used in jewelry during the Art Nouveau period.
Non-precious gemstones and materials were chosen for desirability as a motif and Not for their expensiveness.
I can see it now. Coco Chanel in typical Chanelian style, wryly smiling at the above statement, drawing deeply on her cigarette, while fingering those long ropes of pearls.









Art Nouveau Jewelry and Mother-Nature are synonymous





Reference:Pearsall, R., 1999, A Connoisseur's Guide to Antique Jewellery, Todtri Publishers, New York.

There is also "moonstone glass" again quite beautiful it is made everywhere now, but was once mainly made in Czechoslovakia from the turn of the century until the second world war started.
I love the glass just as much as the real thing probably more if I think about it,... it can be pored into interesting shapes and then carved or made into intaglios, interesting shaped beads and cabs.
I use vintage components, findings, and beads when I can, I also use broken jewelery and sometimes antique brooches so that my creations look "real" or I should say are real just recreated by me.




The long necklace in the front is the one I just made, the moonstone beads are real and as you can see hard to take a photo of.. because of the luminosity...the 2 necklaces behind I made as well with vintage findings....both as well as the drop earrings are made from moonstone glass mixed with etched crystal.

 


Below is a photo of some of my moonstone rings, and yes I wear all of them at once !! as I wear all my necklaces at the one time, and I do own more than the above photo, they are just the ones I made.

Only 2 of these rings are real moonstone ..the one right at the front with small round stone and the criss cross patterned one at the back...the rest are glass and very hard to focus in a photo.
 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely comment you left over at mine, I love moonstones and your rings are beautiful.
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. That moonstone necklace you made is gorgeous!!!

    Thanks for the interesting post, I'd never heard about moonstones before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woman looking very gorgeous when they wear beautiful jewelry

    FAMOUS DIAMONDS

    ReplyDelete